Malvern Instruments Mastersizer 2000 Particle Size Analyzer
Malvern Instruments Mastersizer 2000 Particle Size Analyzer and Hydro 2000MU
The Mastersizer 2000 particle size analyzer has set the standard for simple,
straightforward operation. Modular in design, it has a wide range of automated sample
dispersion units for the measurement of wet and dry samples. These are controlled through
SOPs, providing ease of method development and transfer.
- Broad particle size range suitable for many different applications.
- Wide range of sample dispersion options for emulsions, suspensions and dry powders.
- Fully automated simple SOP operation for ease of use and method transfer.
- Full validation documentation available including compliance with 21 CFR Part 11.
- Backed up by extensive applications knowledge across many different industries.
The Mastersizer 2000 uses the technique of laser diffraction to measure the size of
particles. It does this by measuring the intensity of light scattered as a laser beam
passes through a dispersed particulate sample. This data is then analyzed to calculate
the size of the particles that created the scattering pattern.
A typical system is made up of three main elements:
1.Optical bench - A dispersed sample passes though the measurement area of the optical
bench, where a laser beam illuminates the particles. A series of detectors then
accurately measure the intensity of light scattered by the particles within the sample
over a wide range of angles.
2.Sample dispersion units (accessories). Sample dispersion is controlled by a range of wet
and dry dispersion units. These ensure the particles are delivered to the measurement
area of the optical bench at the correct concentration and in a suitable, stable state of
3.Instrument software. The Mastersizer 2000 software controls the system during the
measurement process and analyzes the scattering data to calculate a particle size
This sale also includes a Hydro 2000MU
The Hydro 2000MU is a large volume manual wet sample dispersion unit designed for use
with standard laboratory beakers.
Designed to provide wet sample measurements for large sample volumes, the Hydro 2000MU
- 600 - 1000ml sample volume using standard laboratory beakers.
- "Dip-in" sample recirculation head for easy sample access.
- Continuously variable pump and stirrer ensures bias-free sampling of dense materials.
- Continuously variable sonication probe to aid agglomerate dispersion.
- Manual keypad control of all measurement functions.
- Software driven SOPs with appropriate user prompts to assist with adherence to GLP andensure reproducibility of measurements.
Wet sample dispersion units use a liquid dispersant, aqueous or solvent based, to
disperse the sample. In a wet dispersion, individual particles are suspended in a liquid
dispersant. The wetting of the particle surfaces by the dispersant molecules lowers their
surface energy, reducing the forces of attraction between touching particles. This allows
them to be separated and go into suspension. In order to keep the sample suspended and
homogenized it is recirculated continuously through the measurement zone.
For dispersants with high surface tension, such as water, the addition of a small amount
of surfactant can significantly improve the wetting behavior and subsequent particle
In order to disperse individual particles it is usual to apply some energy to the sample.
Often this is through stirring or agitation, but for very fine materials or strongly
bound agglomerates ultrasonic irradiation is sometimes used.
Suitable for 100/120 and 200/240 V Supply
Mastersizer Serial no. MAL101822
Hydro Serial no.1006488
Includes all original manuals and software.
These units are pre-owned and we are selling on behalf of the current owner, they are presented in excellent condition, having only run approx 1,500 samples during their 8 years use.
The current owner would be willing to deliver and provide installation and basic training in mainland UK. Costs if beyond UK to be agreed with owner.
Current new price is approx GBP 30K so the price offerred here represents a major saving and opportunity for the prospective purchaser.